Yesterday I found myself with a few extra hours on my hands. What to do, what to do? I decided to prepare some torrijas. Having documented my decision on Facebook, a few of my friends suggested that they would enjoy trying one. The seed was planted, and the “torrija fairy” was born. I spent my afternoon driving from friend’s home to friend’s home delivering the custardy delights.
Since torrijas are a thing to be shared and enjoyed, I’m going to be the “virtual torrija fairy” for all of you and share with you how I made them. I encourage you to make your own batch. Your friends and family will LOVE them.
1. Boil whole milk with sugar, lemon peel and cinnamon sticks.
2. Pour the hot mixture on your day old bread.
3. Coat the bread with egg.
4. Fry the bread (preferrable in good olive oil)
5. Remove excess oil (they have enough calories as it is)
6. Dribble a little simple sugar on them and dust with cinnamon
7. Enjoy (and forget the calories until after Easter)
¡Feliz Pascua Florida! (or Happy Easter as they say in Spain)